If you decide to implement DevOps services to your company, you definitely ask yourself how to do it. Today we’ll talk about DevOps culture, its benefits for business and ways of implementation. First things first, so let’s start with definition and advantages.
What is DevOps culture and what benefits it has?
DevOps is a flexible approach to software development. It helps to automate the routine, reduce time-to-market, increase the frequency of releases and make the whole infrastructure more efficient. DevOps is based on the following principles:
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC). DevOps engineer can create a customizable environment for deployment and testing with settings in a special textual file called manifest. Manifest is written in descriptive language, so QA engineer or developer can easily change parameters for their needs.
- Continuous Integration (CI). This principle means writing code in small batches. It makes possible quick testing, merging and deploying. With CI you can make frequent updates and bug fixes.
- Continuous Testing. Small parts of code need to be tested and after approval, they can be used in the main part of code. DevOps approach provides automated tests and thanks to IaC developer can make preliminary tests very fast without bothering QA engineer.
- Continuous Delivery (CD). After writing and testing the code should be deployed and delivered to the end-users. DevOps services help to automate the deployment process too, so as a result, you have quite a fast process of software development.
- Continuous Monitoring. DevOps also provide constant improvement. Monitoring allows to find bottlenecks and ways to make software better.
Advantages of DevOps transformation
- Speed. DevOps transformation remarkably increases the speed of development and releases. It helps to shorten time-to-market and as a result, increase your competitiveness on the market. While your competitors decide what feature to release, you already release it.
- Cost-efficiency. Of course, you need to invest in implementation but in a result, you’ll have a very cost-efficient system. DevOps automate a lot of processes, so you’ll save resources.
- Reliability and Security. DevOps methodology provides a high level of security, you store your data in the cloud in an encrypted form and use the newest tools for making software reliable.
How to provide DevOps transformation?
If you decide to provide DevOps transformation in your company, you have three common ways:
- Grow in-house DevOps specialists. If you have a team of IT Operations or sysadmins you can spend time and resources for their learning and grow your own DevOps team. The main disadvantages are a lot of time for learning and a lack of experience.
- Hire an in-house team. You can hire the whole team one by one. This way is shorter than the previous one but still is quite long. You’ll need to make a lot of interviews, equip workplaces and even expand the office.
- Hire a dedicated team. This is the fastest way to provide DevOps transformation. The dedicated team works remotely, so you don’t need to think about office expansion. Also, such teams usually very experienced and skilled and you can be sure of the quality of work.
Wrapping up we can say that DevOps is quite an efficient way to make software development and improve internal processes in your company. If you want make DevOps transformation fast and smooth, the best way is to hire an experienced dedicated team. With a reliable DevOps team, you can be sure that transformation will be great.